Summer 2023 CWP sessions: June 12-19 (for June 29 - July 21 orientations) & July 7-14 (for orientations after July 24).
If you have not satisfied ELWR, you will automatically receive an invitation for the CWP at the start of the placement session. UCSB's CWP will be offered twice during Summer Orientation and once a quarter on campus and a student may fulfill the Entry Level Writing Requirement with an appropriate score.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions. Make sure to include your perm number and full name in your email.
International students should visit the English for Multilingual Students website for more information.
Entry Level Writing Requirement
The Entry Level Writing Requirement is a University of California requirement that all students must fulfill during their first year. This requirement applies to students in all three colleges at UCSB.
Students at UCSB must satisfy the Entry Level Writing Requirement in one of the following ways:
- score 3 or higher on either of the Advanced Placement English exams
- score of 30 or higher on the ACT combined English Language Arts (ELA)
- score 680 or higher on SAT Writing exam
- score 5 or higher on the International Baccalaureate higher level English A Examination
- score 6 or higher on the International Baccalaureate standard level English A1 Examination
- receive a grade of "C" or higher in appropriate transfer English composition course satisfying GE Area A1
- receive a placement in Writing 2 via UCSB's Collaborative Writing Placement (CWP)
- receive a passing score on the Analytical Writing Placement Exam (AWPE)
- pass UCSB's Writing 1 with a grade of "C" or higher
It is important to note that once students matriculate at UCSB, they may no longer fulfill the University of California Entry Level Writing Requirement with coursework from another institution.